VividQ is a quickly growing deep technology company with global ambitions. Based out of Cambridge (UK), we are on a mission to bring holographic displays to the mass consumer market. Our software and IP for computer-generated holography is used by the biggest technology companies, developing next generation products in the automotive, consumer electronics, and digital display sectors.
We are looking for an entry to mid level Mechanical Engineer with strong rapid-prototyping skills from university or industry projects. The successful candidate will become a part of a small and ambitious team, focused on developing next generation display solutions for augmented reality (AR) wearables and automotives. You will work alongside world-leading mechanical, optical, electronic engineers and software developers on exciting new projects.
Employment type: Full-time
Seniority: Entry to mid-level
Base compensation: 40-55k
Benefits: Share options, Flexible working days/hours, Cycle To Work Scheme, Generous sick pay and maternity/paternity policies
Location: Flexible, with regular visits to Cambridge (UK)
Who are we looking for?
We are seeking a detail-oriented mechanical engineer with an enthusiasm for designing and building a range of demo units and prototypes. The ideal candidate will enjoy not only the extra challenges presented by the intersection of precision mechanical design with cutting-edge optical engineering, but also take a hands-on approach to the industrial and ergonomic design of complex AR products.
Your mission and responsibilities
With lots of support and guidance from the team, you will:
- Create bespoke prototypes and products by working closely with mechanical, optics, and electronics engineers;
- Take projects through the full lifecycle, starting with capturing requirements and translating to specifications and concepts;
- Develop concepts into detailed designs and engineering drawings to make and deliver a working physical prototype;
- Work independently on tasks and collaborate with peers to brainstorm and review;
- Clearly present your work to engineers and managers and discuss challenges, progress, and next steps.
Your experience and skills
The successful candidate will likely have most of the following:
- Proven ability in detailed design and engineering drawings for projects which involve precision mounting;
- Hands-on experience with prototyping, aligning, and meticulously debugging small precision assemblies with a mixture of mechanical, electronic, and optical parts;
- Knowledge of human factors / ergonomic /product / industrial design of head mounted wearables or automotive interior products;
- Excellent CAD skills (we use Solidworks).
While not necessary, it would be great if you also have:
- A degree in Mechanical / Product / Industrial Design Engineering or related subject;
- Followed version control and quality control workflows to ensure that changes and problems are traceable through the process;
- Prototyped precision parts from engineering materials using CNC or 3D printing, either in-house or through a manufacturer;
- Experience in surface-modelling;
- Experience in design for mass manufacture;
- Simulation experience – FEA, thermals, etc.
What do we offer?
- Competitive salary
- Employee share options scheme (the earlier you join, the bigger your upsight)
- 25 days of paid holiday plus bank holidays
- Flexible working environment
- Generous sick pay and maternity/paternity policies
- Diverse set of tasks, with every new day bringing fresh and exciting challenges
- Become part of a smart, ambitious team working towards changing the future of display technology
Flexible with regular days in Cambridge.
How to apply
To apply please send a CV and a short paragraph explaining why you would be a good fit for this role to email@example.com.
VividQ is a deep tech software company with world-leading expertise in computer-generated holography. The company was founded based on ground-breaking research from the University of Cambridge, to make holographic display a mass market technology.
VividQ software and IP is used by international technology companies , developing the next-generation of augmented reality (AR) wearables, head-up displays (HUD) and consumer electronics. The company is supported by international VC investors.
VividQ is an Equal Opportunity Employer for any minority, disability, gender identity or sexual orientation.